Thursday, March 12, 2009

Children’s Ministry (Professional Edition) … A must READ!

KNOW WHEN TO FOLLOW

From the Editors of Children's Ministry (Professional Edition) Newsletter

The best leaders share their authority. And no leader is an authority on everything. That's why human resource experts and noted leaders alike advise those in leadership positions to hire and recruit people they perceive as better at a skill or characteristic than themselves.

Intentionally surrounding yourself with people who are greatly talented, skilled, and competent shouldn't be threatening --- it should be exciting. As a leader you have the opportunity to learn from these people or lean on their talents. When you discover such a uniquely gifted person, grab hold! Let the person explore his or her talents and take risks --- and you'll push yourself to a higher level of excellence. Use these guides to learn how to follow those exceptional people you lead.

Don't hold on to menial tasks because you feel you much "be in the know" about everything. Take shock and stop micromanaging minor details. Trust the person to make good decisions or to take responsibility for the area. Encourage frequent communication.

Do admit your shortcomings.
If you're terrible at organization and another person is a whiz, openly admit it and ask that person to teach you a few tricks.

Do let the person shore up your entire team and make you look good. Maximizing a star performer's abilities makes your ministry stronger, and your leaders will notice. Don't worry about the person outshining you; your leaders will be delighted to see your wise choice in utilizing the person's talents --- not wondering if they should replace you. (If you doubt this, consider the opposite situation: How would your leader feel about your judgment if you put a disorganized person in charge of a major event and disaster ensued?)

There are many ways on how we can be good leaders in the areas we are appointed to by God. These are just a few of them that we can keep in mind as leaders. But most of all, to accomplish and follow through what God wants to inspire on us to do comes with submission and lots of communication to God. We, as leaders won't be able to do everything on our own. We need God and the strong team.


 

TIME TO APOLOGIZE

Adapted in part from "How and Why You Might Want to Say You're Sorry" by Kent Blumberg

Sorry: This is the word that's no used enough. All leaders make mistakes; some require nothing more than a fix. But some require an apology. Apologies can drastically reduce the amount of collateral damage of a mistake, and make the difference between a loss of respect and greater trust. Here's what Kent Blumberg, a leadership, strategy, and performance expert and blogger, says about apologies.

Don't WAIT.
Time only does more damage. An apology given two days after an event is much more powerful and meaningful than one given two weeks later.

Listen first.
Let people tell you how your words or actions harmed them. Don't discount those feelings by interrupting or saying, "I'm sorry you took it that way. No one else seemed to."

Apologize sincerely. If you don't mean it, people will know. Be open, humble, and most of all accountable. A true apology means you communicate, "I did it. It was my fault. It was a poor choice. I'm sorry it hurt you."

Make changes. An apology is meaningless unless you make an effort to prevent such a situation in the future. Let people know your plan for how you'll do this.

I have failed as a leader so many times and I admit that sometimes I don't see the mistake until someone says something about it. I made bad choice of actions and words that doesn't portray me as a good servant-leader. Honestly, all of the comments, advice, and were taken into consideration and "change" has been made, and will continue to in the progress to do better. I've heard hurtful remarks behind my back where I, myself haven't heard any apologies to, but I want to go ahead and say, "you're forgiven." I have nothing against anyone who I work with, especially in church because I know that we are all children of God, brothers and sisters in Christ and we have to FORGIVE, FORGET and let God inspire us with the rest. AGAIN ---


 

To all my brothers and sisters in Christ: If there was a time that I hurt you in the past, may it be through my words or actions, I pray that you forgive me and that you'll continue to show me your unconditional love. There's only one thing I ask of you – please do tell me right away if you see something that I've done that needs to be changed. Do it with love, respect and prayers. I'm open and willing to yield.

May God continue to bless all our leaders in church as we continue to do His work here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment